Head of the laboratory: Bogdan Matseliukh
Ph. +38(067) 122 67 37
Position: Head of the laboratory
Title, degree: doctor of biological sciences, professor, member-cor. NASU
Honorary title, awards: Prize named after D.K. Zabolotny National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (1989), State Prize of Ukraine in Science and Technology (1991), Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Ukraine (2003), Award of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine "For Scientific Achievements" (2012), Certificate of Honor of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine (2016 ), member of the National Union of Writers of Ukraine (2017).
Under the leadership of Professor Matseliukh B.P. 13 PhD theses were defended.
In the laboratory, students of the Kyiv Universities undergo industrial practice and complete theses.
Scientific directions of laboratory
- mapping and sequencing of the genome of streptomycetes;
- chemical structure and function of antibiotics and regulators of their biosynthesis;
- genetic selection and introduction into the industry of microorganisms - producers of antibiotics and vitamins.
Keywords: streptomycetes, genetic transformation, genetic recombination, genetic map, Streptomyces olivaceus VKX, sequential mutagenesis, plasmids, polymyxin B, Bacillus polymyxa BS 153, beta-carotene, Blakeslea trispora, biovit, landomycin E, Streptomyces globisporus 1912, gene sequence, genome sequencing, GenBank databases KJ645792, KJ701191, KM349312, GWFA00000000.1
The laboratory was organized in 1955 as a laboratory of variability of microorganisms. In 1963, the laboratory was named the Department of Genetics of Microorganisms, which was renamed the laboratory again in 2020. The scientific head of the department from 1955 to 1965 was Doctor of Science, Prof. P.E. Vizier, and from 1965 to the present time - member-cor. NAS of Ukraine B.P. Matseliukh.
Important results of fundamental research
- Genetic transformation of streptomycetes with the help of DNA, as well as fusion and regeneration of protoplasts was carried out;
- A circular genetic map of Streptomyces olivaceus VKX was constructed;
- Bidirectional replication of the chromosome of streptomycetes is established;
- Streptomycete plasmids pSG1812-1 and pSG1912-2 were studied, and the vector molecule pSG1912-3 was constructed;
- The chemical structure of the new antitumor antibiotic landomycin E was established and the molecular mechanism of its action was revealed;
- The chemical structure of the antibiotic biosynthesis regulator of streptomycetes N-methylphenylalanyl-dehydrobutyrin diketopiperazine was established;
- The genomes of Streptomyces globisporus 1912-2 and 1912-4Crt strains were sequenced and registered in the international GenBank database (GWFA00000000.1), and the complete sequences of gene bundles for the biosynthesis of landomycin E and beta-carotene are registered under accession numbers KJ645792, KJ701191 and KM349312.
Implementation of the results of applied research in industry
- A highly active mutant of Streptomyces aureofaciens 019(8)-producer of the fodder antibiotic Biovit (chlortetracycline and cyanocobalamin) was obtained, protected by a copyright certificate and put into production at seven factories in Ukraine;
- Highly active slimeless mutants of Bacillus polymyxa BS 153 and BS153-29 were obtained - producers of the antibiotic polymyxin B, protected by copyright certificates of the USSR and put into production at the Kyiv Pharmaceutical Factory;
- Highly active Blakeslea trispora K1 and K2 mutants were obtained - producers of beta-carotene, protected by copyright certificates of the USSR and a patent of Ukraine and put into production at the Verkhnyodniprovsk starch-molasses plant;
- Strains of producers of polymyxin B and beta-carotene were sold to foreign companies in the form of license agreements.
- Symposium on the genetics of microorganisms and the 10th International Congress of Microbiology, Moscow, 1996;
- Conference on genetics of industrial microorganisms, Tsakhkadzor, 1973;
- International Symposium on Genetics of Industrial Microorganisms, Jerusalem, 1998;
- 10th European Congress on Biotechnology, Madrid, 2001;
- I - XV Congresses of the Society of Microbiologists of Ukraine named after S.M. Vinohradskyi;
- I - X Congresses of the Ukrainian Society of Geneticists and Breeders named after M.I. Vavilov.
- Polishchuk L.V. Similarity of genomic sequences of five Streptomyces globisporus strains // Mikrobiol. Zh., 2020, 82(1), P. 43-50.
- Golembiovska S.L., Bambura O.I., Matselyukh B.P. Antagonistic action of 26UF7 and 35NG3 Streptomycres species to Clavibacter michiganensis subsp. michiganensis 102 //Mikrobiol. Zh., 2020, 82(2), P. 60-66.
- Matselyukh B.P., Golembiovska S.L., Bambura O.I. Screening of soil Streptomycetes – producers of antibiotics against phytopathogenic bacteria //Mikrobiol. Zh., 2020, 82(5), P. 36-40.
- Matselyukh B.P. Identity of carotenoid biosynthetic genes of Streptomyces and their activation in S. globisporus 1912-4Crt // J. Genetics and Genomes, 2019, 3(1), 122-126.
- Polishchuk L.V. Some general tendencies in organization of Streptomyces crt-clusters // Ibid., 2019, 1(27), P. 30-36.
- Polishchuk L.V. Similarity and difference in crt-cluster organisations of strains from Streptomyces hygroscopicus clade // Slovak intern. scientific journal, 2018, 22, P. 8-12.
- Golembiovska S.L. Dvornyk T.V., Polishchuk L.V., Matselyukh B.P. Variability of carotenoid-synthetic strains Streptomyces globisporus 1912 after deep cultivation and storage // Мікробіол. біотехн., 2018, 43(3), 26-35.
- Matselyukh B.P. Streptomyces globisporus strain 1912-4Crt, whole genome shortgun sequencing project // GenBank, 2018, GWFA00000000.1
- Matselyukh B.P., Lavrenchuk V.Y., Bambura O.I. Screening and charac-teristic of regulators of antibiotic biosynthesis in Streptomyces // Там же, 2017, 79(2), С. 95-102.
- Panchuk R.R., Lehka L.V., Terenzi A., Matselyukh B.P. et al. Rapid generation of hydrogen peroxide contributes tо the complex cell death induction by the angucycline antibiotic landomycin E // Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 2017, 106, P. 134-147.
- Polishchuk L.V. Similarity and dissimilarity of primary structures of some Streptomyces spp. genomes and the Streptomyces globisporus 1912-2 chromosomal DNA // Biopolym. Cell, 2017, 33(3), P. 206-213.
- Fomina M.A., Polishchuk L.V., Tkachenko K.S., Hong J.W. et al. Complex identification of red yeast isolate from gastrointestinal tract of hucul longliver (Carpathians, Ukraine) // Мікробіол. журн., 2016, 78(5), С. 2-11.
- Matselyukh B.P., Polishvhuk L.V., Lukyanchuk V.V., Golembiovska S.L., Lavrenchuk V.Y. Sequences of landomycin E and carotenoid biosynthetic gene cluster, and molecular structure of transcriptional regulator of Streptomyces globisporus 1912 // Мікробіол. журн., 2016, 78(6), С. 60-70.
- Мацелюх Б.П. Проблемы генетической трансформации. Киев: «Наукова думка», 1969, 214 с.
- Мацелюх Б.П. Рекомбинация и репликация ДНК бактерий и стрептомицетов. Киев: «Наукова думкм». 1979, 287 с.
- Захаров И.А., Мацелюх Б.П. Генетические карты микроорганизмов. Справочное пособие. Киев: «Наукова думка», 1986, 250 с.
- Штамм Bacillus polymyxa БС 153– продуцент полимиксина В. – А.с. 507059 СССР, МКИ 4 С 12Д 19/20 от 21.11.1975
- Штамм Bacillus polymyxa БС 153-29/3 – продуцент полимиксина В. – А.с. 790780 СССР, МКИ 4 С 12Д 9/00 от 21.08.1980.
- Штамм К2+ и К2- гриба Blakeslrea trispora – продуцент бета-каротину. Патент України № 2220 С1 С12N 15/00, C12P 17/00, C12P 23/00 від 28.01.1993.
- International program INTAS-Ukraine 95-20 (IX.1997 - IX.1999) "Development of biotechnology of a new potential antitumor antibiotic";
- Contract B507078 CRDF with the Livermore National Laboratory named after Lawrence of the US Department of Energy (1998 - 2000).
- Cooperation with Prof. Jurgen Rohr and Prof. Hartmann Laasch from the Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry of the University of Göttingen, Germany to establish the chemical structure of the antitumor antibiotic landomycin E and the regulator of its biosynthesis N-methylphenylalanyl-dehydrobutyrin diketopiperazine (1996-2015).
Employees of the department
Senior researcher, PhD
conducts genome analysis
Streptomyces globisporus 1912
Senior researcher, PhD
specialist in the field of genetics of microorganisms
deals with the selection of antibiotic-producing streptomycetes against phytopathogenic bacteria
Certificates of honor from the IMV of the National Academy of Sciences. Awards of Matseliukh B.P. listed above.